Roasted sweet potatoes are the perfect base for a creamy chipotle mayonnaise: add some tomatoes and onion for crunch, and you’ll have everyone going back for seconds (and thirds). It’s a great potluck dish because it’s just unusual enough to be interesting, without crossing the line into “weird” or “diet food.” And it’s also an easy way to make a healthy starchy dish ahead, so you can easily grab and go when you want it.
To get that delicious chipotle flavor in the sauce, the recipe calls for chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. This can be tricky to find at the store if you’re being even moderately picky about the ingredients: most of them start out fine but then the ingredients list quickly devolves into sugar and soy or corn oil. If you can’t find anything good, consider making your own: it’s easy to find recipes for homemade peppers in adobo (here’s one, just to start things off)
Sweet potato salad goes wonderfully with deviled eggs if you want a cold lunch, but it’s also tasty with any lighter main dish like some basic chicken or pork chops. Add a quick vegetable side, and you’ll be up and ready to go.
Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
Protein: 3g / %
Carbs: 33g / %
Fat: 33g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, diced;
- 1 large avocado, diced;
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved;
- 1 small red onion, diced;
- ½ cup homemade mayonnaise;
- 1 tbsp. chipotle peppers in adobo sauce;
- ½ tsp. cumin powder;
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar;
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice;
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the coconut oil in a bowl.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking pan and roast for about 30 minutes or until they are tender. Once ready, set aside to cool down.
- Combine the mayonnaise, chipotle sauce, cumin, apple cider vinegar and lime juice in a large bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and give everything a good stir.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to chill or serve immediately.