How do you make butter even better? What about mixing it with ground black peppercorns, herbs, and powdered aromatics to make the butter even more flavorful…before you melt it on top of a nice thick steak? The seasoning blend for the butter is a mix of savory and spicy, just enough to add flavor without totally overwhelming the taste of the actual butter. And the same blend doubles as a spice rub for the steak, so it’s convenient on top of being delicious.
“Steak with butter” has to top the list of most people’s Top 10 Unhealthy Foods, but the Paleo crowd knows better! In case you need a refresher, the steak has all kinds of benefits beyond “protein,” the butter provides an anti-inflammatory fat called butyrate, and if you’re using grass-fed butter you’ll also get a healthy dose of Vitamin K2. And of course, saturated fat doesn’t cause heart disease, and neither does cholesterol, and animal protein doesn’t cause cancer or anything else.
The amounts of butter and herbs given here are pretty generous, so if you wanted to make this into a four-steak affair, you’d probably have enough butter to work with. If you stick with two steaks and have extra butter, use it to fry up some eggs the next morning and enjoy a little flavor boost.
Grilled Steaks With Herb Butter Recipe
Protein: 61g / %
Carbs: 6g / %
Fat: 97g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 rib eye strip steaks cut 1-1/2″ thick (or your steak of choice)
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. whole black peppercorn
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1/8 tsp. red chili pepper flakes
Herb Butter or Ghee Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter or ghee, softened
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- In a mortar, combine the sea salt, black peppercorn, garlic powder, onion powder, fennel seeds, paprika, chili pepper flakes, and coarsely grind with a pestle.
- Mix all the ingredients for the herb butter and add 1 tsp. of the steak seasoning.
- Season the steaks generously with the remaining steak seasoning on both sides.
- Grill the steaks for 3 to 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare doneness.
- Let the steaks rest for 4 to 5 minutes and top with herb butter before serving.