The best chicken fajitas are a delicious recipe that has you marinate the meat ahead of time for added flavor. This paleo and keto friendly meal is a great choice for a weeknight when you want something tasty, but easy to serve. The best thing about fajitas is how simple it is to serve to a crowd so everyone can customize them to their own preferences. With tender, juicy strips of chicken mixed with flavorful bell peppers, onions, and spices, these fajitas are sure to delight both your taste buds and your desire for a healthy diet.
While some may worry about getting their chicken just right, fear not; with our easy-to-follow instructions and simple yet effective marinade, these paleo fajitas practically guarantee a perfectly moist and tender meal every time. And with the option to marinate ahead of time, all you need is a quick ten minutes of cooking to have dinner on the table.
But it's not just their taste that makes these fajitas a great choice for a paleo or keto diet. Packed with protein and vegetables, they're a surefire way to stay full and satisfied while avoiding carbs and other unhealthy additives. And with toppings like diced tomatoes, sliced avocados, and homemade salsa, you can customize your fajitas to fit your own culinary preferences without sacrificing nutritional value.
You can make a batch of cauliflower tortillas to serve these with, and of course make sure you have some fire-roasted salsa or even a simple Mexican salsa verde to add flavor.
Serves: 5 Prep Time: 5 min + 4 hrs Cook Time: 10 min
- 3 lbs chicken breast, cut in thin strips
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon each: oregano, chili powder, cumin and coriander
- 6 chopped garlic cloves
- Juice of 5 lemons
- 4 tablespoon cooking fat
- Butter lettuce to serve
- You choice of toppings: diced tomatoes, fermented pickles, sauerkraut, sliced avocados, salsa, guacamole, mayonnaise and/or salsa verde
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
Begin by slicing the chicken breast into thin strips. Then repeat this process with the onions and bell peppers. Put all of these into a large bowl along with the oregano, chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice. Stir this together so the chicken and vegetables are coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for up to 4 hours before cooking.
When ready to cook, melt the cooking fat in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the chicken and vegetables. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
Serve alongside your favorite fajita toppings.
More Paleo Mexican Recipes
If you like authentic Mexican, Tex-Mex, or Americanized Mexican foods, then some of our recipes below are going to be perfect for you. Take a few minutes to check them out. Bookmark your favorites, print out the recipes you want to make soon, or just pin them to Pinterest to make it handy to meal plan!
- 20 Paleo Taco Recipes
- Mexican Steak with Mushrooms and Peppers Recipe
- Keto Taco Skillet Recipe
- Taco-Stuffed Avocado Recipe
- Fried Fish Tacos Recipe
- Cilantro-Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- Mexican-Style Pulled Pork Recipe
Paleo Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cut in thin strips
- 3 bell peppers sliced
- 3 onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 chopped garlic cloves
- ¾ cup lemon juice approximately 5 lemons
- 4 tablespoon cooking fat beef tallow, lard, or bacon grease
- Lettuce, tomatoes, fermented pickles, sauerkraut, sliced avocados, salsa, guacamole, etc.
- Cut 3 lbs of chicken breast into thin strips and place them in a bowl. Add 3 sliced bell peppers, 3 sliced onions, 1 tablespoon of oregano, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 tablespoon of cumin, 1 tablespoon of coriander, 6 chopped garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, and the juice of 5 lemons. Mix well. If you want to prepare ahead of time, let the mixture marinate in the refrigerator for about 4 hours.3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, 3 bell peppers, 3 onions, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon ground cumin, 1 tablespoon ground coriander, Sea salt and black pepper, 6 chopped garlic cloves, ¾ cup lemon juice
- Heat 4 tablespoon of cooking fat in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken mixture and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the onions and bell peppers are soft.4 tablespoon cooking fat
- Place the hot chicken mixture into a large bowl. To serve, place a butter lettuce leaf on a plate, add a small amount of the chicken mixture, and let people add their choice of toppings, such as diced tomatoes, fermented pickles, sauerkraut, sliced avocados, salsa, guacamole, mayonnaise, and/or salsa verde. Ensure chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).Lettuce, tomatoes, fermented pickles, sauerkraut, sliced avocados, salsa, guacamole, etc.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. If following a keto diet, you can also add things like sour cream, low-carb tortillas, or cheese to the fajitas.
- This can also be made with chicken thighs, shrimp, pork, or beef.
Leave a Reply